The HARTLEY Surname Hall of Fame 4
HARTLEY Brewery , Old Brewery, Brewery Street, Ulverston, Cumbria UK
makers of HARTLEY ales, the site had been brewing from 1755 until 8th November 1991.
In 1850, it was sold to T. Jackson, Fell & Co who ran it until the mid 1870's. A John Booth then took over. On the 17th July 1896 the Old Brewery was conveyed from the Trustees of John Booth to Robert and Peter HARTLEY. On the 29th December 1919 Hartleys [Ulverston] Limited was incorporated.
__ On the 16th July 1982 the company, including 54 pubs, was acquired by Frederic Robinson Limited, Unicorn Brewery, Stockport. Brewing ceased on the 8th November 1991 ... a total of 236 years of traditional beer brewing.
The brewing copper, mash tun and hop-back [a matched set] are now in use at the Black Sheep Brewery, Masham, Wensleydale.
Ales included: Bitter og1031.0 Cumbria Way 4·1% [brewed by Robinson's] Fellrunners og1035.0 Mild og1031.0 XB 4·0% [click on pics to enlarge]
HARTLEY pubs can still be found around the Ulverston area of Cumbria
Hartley's Glassworks and Wearglass Works in Sunderland  and Dumbarton Glass.
ongoing research by hartleyfamilyorguk into a link between the "Hartley Glass" family and Vivien LEIGH, the actress ...
John HARTLEY , along with his brother James N. HARTLEY , established Hartley's Glassworks and Wearglass Works in Sunderland in 1836/7; Chance and Sons Glassworks, Smethwick; partner with his brother-in-law Major Thorneycroft, J. P. in Messrs J. B. Thorneycroft & Co.'s large Ironworks and Collieries; Director of the L. & N.W. Railway; Deputy Lieutenant for Staffordshire. Elected Mayor of Wolverhampton 1858. Burial:1884, St Bartholemew Church, Tong, Shropshire.
James N.HARTLEY  was born 13th Mar 1811, baptized 29th Mar 1811 at Dumbarton, Scotland. He was sent to Paris for glass work in 1872. He died on 24 May 1886. James built Ashbrook Hall at Bishopwearmouth [architect Thomas Moore] in 1864.
HARTLEY  at Bramley, Yorkshire. He was likely a Glassmaker; m.Sarah
EDDISON 9th Nov 1729 in Leeds Yorkshire. Children: Margaret HARTLEY  at
Bramley; Sarah HARTLEY; Sarah HARTLEY; Mary HARTLEY; Joseph HARTLEY 
at Hunslet, Yorkshire; Margaret HARTLEY; Eleanor HARTLEY; Ruth HARTLEY;
Elizabeth HARTLEY; James HARTLEY; Elizabeth HARTLEY; William HARTLEY 
at Allerton; Benjamin HARTLEY  at Allerton.
Joseph HARTLEY  baptized 27th Feb 1735 at Hunslet Yorkshire. He died 13th Sep 1794 at Dumbarton, Scotland. Joseph m. Elizabeth SKINNER. Children: Joseph HARTLEY  at Hunslet, Yorkshire; Abraham HARTLEY  at Hunslet; John HARTLEY  at Hunslet; Benjamin HARTLEY  at Dumbarton.
Joseph HARTLEY  baptized 19th May 1771 at Hunslet, Yorkshire. m.Martha SIMPSON 21st Apr 1815 at Dumbarton, Scotland. [[The family of Hartleys as a whole seemed to travel between Sunderland and Dumbarton in Scotland, both areas highly active in the Glassmaking industry]]. Children: Ann HARTLEY; Mary HARTLEY; Margaretta Simpson HARTLEY; Abraham HARTLEY  at Melbury, Somerset; Joseph HARTLEY  Nailsea, Somerset. They lived at Nailsea Somerset in 1821, Birmingham in 1830, St Helens, Lancashire in 1834. In 1851 Joseph was a Crown Glass Maker in Sunderland, Durham [where they lived 1851]. Hartleys Glass Works was established in Sunderland in 1836/7 and James N. Hartley [Josephs nephew] was granted a patent for a new process of casting rolled glass which was used and shipped worldwide. [[tableware from Wearglass Works is highly collectable. Though the Glassworks closed in 1894, the tradition of glassmaking in Sunderland continued with a new partnership of James Hartley [grandson of James N. Hartley] and Alfred Wood from Birmingham teaming up to form Portobello Lane Works]].
John HARTLEY  m.Margaret Laing STEPHENSON [nee KAYLL] 21st Apr 1802 at St Peter Church, Monkwearmouth, Durham. Children: Martha HARTLEY; Jane Langridge HARTLEY; Maria Booth HARTLEY; Mary Ann HARTLEY; James HARTLEY; John HARTLEY [see below]; Louisa HARTLEY. He died on 5 Aug 1833 in Birmingham. He was a Glassmaker probably for Dixon's in Dumbarton, Yorkshire, Nailsea, Somerset & Birmingham. He was one of the country's foremost authorities in the production of Crown Glass .
B THORNEYCROFT b.1821. He lived in Hadley Park, Shropshire and owned theShrubbery
Ironworks, Horsely Fields, Wolverhampton; d.1851. Children: Emma THORNEYCROFT
Emma THORNEYCROFT b.1821 at Hadley Park, Shropshire, d.1909 at Tong, Shropshire. She married John HARTLEY  20th Aug 1859. Children: Rosa Mary HARTLEY; Eleanor Jane HARTLEY; George THOMPSON HARTLEY  [see below]; Alice HARTLEY ; Rev Canon John Thorneycroft HARTLEY  [see:John Thorneycroft HARTLEY [1849-1935] English Wimbledon Tennis Champion under Hartley Hall of Fame: Sports]; Charles Albert HARTLEY ; Constance HARTLEY. John HARTLEY  b.Dumbarton Scotland who lived [and died 1884] at Tong Castle, Shropshire. Along with one of his brothers James N. Hartley, established Hartley's Glassworks and Wearglass Works in Sunderland in 1836/7, the first making glass windows and Wearglass Works making table ware. At the time Hartleys Glass Works was the more successful of the two business's and James N. Hartley was granted a patent for a new process of casting rolled glass which was used and shipped worldwide.
George Thompson HARTLEY was born 1844, lived at Kilsll Hall then lived [and died July 20, 1917] in Wheaton Aston Hall, Staffordshire. He married Louisa STONE 1871, daughter of John SPENCER STONE. She died 1892 in Wheaton Aston, Staffordshire. George opened the "Hartley Arms" at Wheaton Aston. Burial: 1917, Lapley, Staffs. Children: Ernald George Justinian HARTLEY was born Abt. 1873. He married Mary Frances WEDGWOOD. Last known address Frilford House, Abingdon, Berkshire. Children: Geoffrey Ernald Wedgwood HARTLEY; Mable HARTLEY. Miss H. HARTLEY, m. Gordon-WATSON.
Hartley’s Pottery [Castleford] Ltd - Hartrox Stoneware
based at Phillips Pottery, Castleford, Yorkshire, from 1898 to 1960, making utilitarian stonewares and earthenwares. The base was marked in the centre with a transfer printed logo, which read ‘HARTROX STONEWARE CASTLEFORD’. ‘Hartrox’ was the trade name on decorative wares from 1953 to June 1960.
Hartley Greens and Company [Leeds] - Pottery
Leeds Pottery was originally founded in Hunslet, a village just outside Leeds, in around 1770. In its early years it was owned by members of two families, both called Green, who were then joined by a Lancashire businessman called William HARTLEY, giving the company the name under which it became famous - Hartley Greens & Co. Rapid expansion followed and by 1790 the Pottery employed 150 people and its products were exported throughout Europe and as far afield as Russia and America.
Creamware: Hartley Greens & Co produced several kinds of pottery but was particularly famous for its Creamware. This was a new type of earthenware made from white Cornish clay combined with a translucent glaze to produce its characteristic pale cream colour. Creamware was perfect for making the elegant and highly decorative tableware in demand in the Georgian age. Although it was also made by many other companies, the commercial success and outstanding quality of the Leeds product meant that in time all Creamware came to be popularly known as "Leedsware".
HARTLEY Potato Chips [Crisps] , USA Hartley's Potato Chips have been making kettle cooked potato chips since 1935, when J. Irvin and Gertrude Hartley began production in their home with their 6 children. The chips are still being made today from that same location, on the Back Maitland road, 3 miles outside of Lewistown, PA. Today, the 25,000 square foot facility allows production to accommodate distribution throughout Mifflin Co., State College, Altoona, Williamsport, Harrisburg, and parts of New York.
[ Food Manufacturer, UK ]
Sir William Pickles Hartley founded the "Hartley's Jam" empire.
The Hartley family had lived around the Trawden area at the foot of the Pendle Hills probably since the 16thC. They began as fairly modest local grocers in the district.
William was born in 1846 and left school at the age of fourteen, working at his mother's grocery shop. He started in business for himself in Colne at the age of sixteen. As the business grew William moved into the wholesale trade, and a chance event in 1871 started the Hartley business rolling, as, so it is said, a supplier failed to deliver a batch of jam and William was forced to make his own. His jam, marmalade and jelly sold so well that he continued to make it.
Hartley began to develop his business by producing his own fruit and packaging it in his own distinctive earthenware 'Melling' pots.
In 1874 the business was transferred to Bootle, Liverpool.
In 1884 the jam-making business was incorporated as William Hartley & Sons Limited.
In 1886 Hartley moved the business to Aintree in Liverpool, where he built 'Hartley Garden Village' to the right of the Factory for his workers.
The factory was self-contained and included Coopers, Joiners and Boxmakers.
Millions of the famous earthenware 'Hartley Jam Jars' were made at Melling and
St. Helens. The factory had its own railway sidings with two locomotives. In
the busy season there were six trains per day handling two hundred waggons..
William chartered ships and had his own bonded warehouses. Two thousand boxes
were made in a day, the timber imported from Norway.
Today the Aintree Factory is a scrapyard
Throughout his life, William donated money for religious or philanthropic causes in Colne, Liverpool and in London. Many buildings in Colne, built in 1911 still stand today and are known locally as Hartley Homes.
In 1900 Hartley opened a jam factory in Bermondsey, south-east London and employed over 2,000 people.
Hartley Jam Factory, Bermondsey, today; it has now been converted to apartments.
By 1908 he had been knighted by King Edward VII for his many charitable acts and funding to Sunday Schools and for the establishment of hospitals.
[see more about Sir William Pickles HARTLEY in the 'HARTLEY Hall of Fame S-Z']
HARTLEY Crocodile Adventures, Cairns, Australia see crocodiles and native wildlife in Tropical North Queensland. Set in the foothills of the MacAlister Range, in a World Heritage listed area, the site of a former tin mine, Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures is home to a range of habitat types including melaleuca wetlands, riverine rainforest and eucalypt woodland.
The Hartley Institute: University of Southampton. Highfield, Southampton, UK
The University of Southampton
established the Hartley Institute in 1993 to promote, facilitate and encourage
research associated with the University Library's extensive holdings, both in
its general stock and particularly of manuscripts, official publications, the
Parkes collections (on the relations of the Jewish people with others) and regional
collections; and to disseminate knowledge by conferences, seminars, public lectures,
publications and exhibitions. The Institute aims to provide a framework for
collection-based work in the humanities broadly defined; to bring visiting researchers
more immediately into contact with the host academic community; and to work
closely with academic developments on the arts side of the University.
The University of Southampton has its origins in the Hartley Institution, founded in 1862 from the bequest of a local wine merchant, Henry Robinson Hartley [1777-1850] [see Hartley Hall of Fame G-L]
Southampton received its royal charter in 1952 and now has over 17,000 students, of whom more than 3,000 are post-graduates. There are currently seven faculties: Arts; Engineering and Applied Science; Law; Mathematical Studies; Medicine, Health and Biological Sciences; Science; and Social Sciences. The main campus of the University, which includes the Hartley Library, lies adjacent to Southampton Common, a large (and ancient) area of woodland and open space, some three miles from the centre of the city. In addition to the usual amenities, there is a theatre, a purpose-built concert hall and an art gallery. The University's activities are spread over several locations in Southampton and beyond, including the Southampton Oceanography Centre and Winchester School of Art. Southampton is about one hour from London by train.
The University Library and its research collections: the Library was established in 1862. The collections now number more than 1,500,000 books and periodicals, with some 6,500 current titles. The major research collections include strengths in the humanities, in official publications and there are important holdings of nineteenth- and twentieth-century political, diplomatic, official and military manuscripts, together with probably the largest collection of archive material in Western Europe relating to the Jewish people. More information is available on this website.
HARTLEY Morris Men, West Kent , UK
Hartley Morris Men are the oldest Morris side dancing in the West Kent area; they are also one of the oldest groups in the country, with roots going back to the Stansted Morris dancers of 1934 - 39. They perform the ancient and traditional Morris dances of the Cotswold style. Most of the team’s 30 members don their white suits, straw hats, clashing sticks, bells and handkerchiefs for rehearsals at St George’s Hall, Wrotham, each week, followed by a quick jig to the ale pumps at a local pub.
HARTLEY Morris Men, Upton-upon-Severn Stick Dance in the dark.
Platinum Mine, Rhodesia
Located about 80km south west of Harare, Hartley was brought into production in 1997 at a cost of some $289 million by a joint venture between the Australian companies BHP (67%) and Delta Gold NL (33%). In 1998, Delta spun off its holding into Zimbabwe Platinum Mines Ltd (Zimplats), and in mid-1999, BHP sold its holding to Zimplats. The mine, which employed around 3,100 people, was immediately mothballed.
HARTLEY Platinum Mine, South Africa When development of the Hartley Platinum Mine commenced in 1995, it was expected that full production would be achieved in the fourth quarter of calendar 1997. Full production was not achieved and mining operations were suspended on the 2nd June 1998, and the mine placed on care and maintenance.
College, Point Pedro, Ceylon
Founded in 1838, the Hartley College has produced thousands of professionals notable in the fields of Engineering, Medicine, Arts and Science. Students are also actively involved in sports such as Cricket, Football, Volleyball, as well as Athletics.
Hartleyites are found in the top echelons of all disciplines and walks of life with eminence and outstanding ability, such as Prof. C. J. Eliezer, Prof. A. Thurairajah and Prof. A. Veluppillai.
In recognition of the service the College rendered to the Tamil community, a commemorative new stamp was issued on her 150th Anniversary.
Past Pupils' Associations in Colombo, the U.K., Australia and Canada contributing to the well being of the College.
1838: Rev. Dr. Peter Percival, Scholar and Educationist, who complied the English Tamil Dictionary and translated the Bible into Tamil found the School with the name "Wesleyan Mission Central School."
1916: Rev. Marshall Hartley, Secretary of the Methodist Mission for the East visits the school and lays the foundation for a science laboratory. The School is re-named HARTLEY COLLEGE
1983: The Pooranampillai Block is opened. The Principal inaugurates a branch of the Hartley College O. B. A. in London. Hartley College, Point Pedro
a Dealey class Destroyer Escort.
Namesake - Rear Admiral Henry HARTLEY* [see below]. Commissioned 26 June 1957. Decommissioned 8 July 1972. Transferred to the Colombian Navy and renamed the Boyaca DE-16
*Henry HARTLEY was born in Bladensburg, MD, USA on 8 May 1884. Henry came up through the enlisted ranks. Whilst commissioned as a Lieutenant, he received the Navy Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal. Henry served during WWII and later rose to the rank of Commodore.
After 46 years of service, he retired from the US Navy the rank of Rear Admiral on 1 May 1947.
Admiral Hartley died at Bethesda, MD on 6 March 1953
information at: www.NewPortDealeys.org
[thanks to Charles H. Fratz]
and at: http://www.hartleysnavy.com/
HARTLEY Village, Kent, England
The Village of Hartley in Kent lies on the northern side of the North Downs between Sevenoaks and Dartford/Gravesend. The northern boundary is the main railway line to London and stretches some 2 miles southwards towards New Ash Green and at its widest is some 1.5 miles. Home to some 6000 people it is a mixed community and retains its rural roots. As a village it has limited street lighting and lacks many of the amenities of a town, it does though contain two beautiful historic churches one of which originates from the Norman times and the other one of the only thatched churches in Kent.
there's even a comet up there in the night sky named
... COMET 103P/HARTLEY2
Malcolm Hartley discovered this comet on plates exposed on 1988 February 19 and 22 with the U.K. Schmidt Telescope Unit at Siding Spring. He estimated the total magnitude as 16.5 on the 19th. He added that the plate exposed on the 22nd revealed a tail extending 10 arcmin towards the northwest. http://cometography.com/pcomets/110p.html
NASA has approved the retargeting of the EPOXI mission for a flyby of comet Hartley 2 on Oct. 11, 2010. Hartley2 was chosen as EPOXI's destination after the initial target, comet Boethin, could not be found. Scientists theorize comet Boethin may have broken up into pieces too small for detection. The EPOXI mission melds two compelling science investigations -- the Extrasolar Planet Observation and Characterization and the Deep Impact Extended Investigation. Both investigations will be performed using the Deep Impact spacecraft. In addition to investigating comet Hartley2, the spacecraft will point the larger of its two telescopes at nearby exosolar planetary systems in late January 2008 to observe several previously discovered planetary systems outside our solar system. It will study the physical properties of giant planets and search for rings, moons and planets as small as three Earth masses. It also will look at Earth as though it were an exosolar planet to provide data that could become the standard for characterizing these types of planets. "The search for exosolar planetary systems is one of the most intriguing explorations of our time," said Drake Deming, EPOXI deputy principal investigator at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. "With EPOXI we have the potential to discover new worlds and even analyze the light they emit to perhaps discover what atmospheres they possess." The mission's closest approach to the small half-mile-wide comet will be about 620 miles. The spacecraft will employ the same suite of two science instruments the Deep Impact spacecraft used during its prime mission to guide an impactor into comet Tempel 1 in July 2005. If EPOXI's observations of Hartley 2 show it is similar to one of the other comets that have been observed, this new class of comets will be defined for the first time. If the comet displays different characteristics, it would deepen the mystery of cometary diversity.
September 2010: [photo:Patrick Duis, Netherlands] Comet 103P/Hartley2 is still very faint. I could not see it visible, so I decided to try it photographically. This is a combination of 4 20min exposures at ISO800. The green-blueish colour that is very common to Comets is clearly visible. Over the coming months it will become more bright.
please bookmark this website address: www.hartleyfamily.org.uk
e-mail enquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org